About the Job
Games Workshop is the world’s most successful hobby miniatures company, selling its products in over 50 countries in more than 530 wholly owned stores, direct on the internet, and through over 4000 independent retailers. Its seminal Warhammer® worlds have been a staple of popular gaming and hobby culture for over 35 years and have been realised in products as diverse as miniature models, table top and video games, novels, vinyl collectibles and apparel, with many more yet to come. Its licensing department has c 90 licensees across the globe and is now looking to rapidly expand the Warhammer brand into the Japanese market through partnerships with industry-leading licensee partners.
We are looking for a Licensing and Business Development Manager based in Tokyo to help develop and deliver our strategy for building the Warhammer brands in the Japanese market. Games Workshop already have a number of its own shops in and around Tokyo and independent retailers across Japan selling its core hobby products, as well as a handful of partners making licensed products, but our ambitions are much greater. This role will be responsible for dramatically growing our reach and royalty income in the Japanese market. This will be as a result of developing and managing new partnerships with top tier companies. In particular this will involve managing the day to day business relationship between Games Workshop and a strategically significant cross-category Japanese licensee
• Facilitate clear communication both in terms of language and business cultures between GW and our Japanese partners to ensure a productive, mutually beneficial relationship at all times
• Develop a plan identifying all other target licensed product categories and their respective best-in-class potential licensees for the Japanese market
• Find, approach, and negotiate with Japanese companies that can help us deliver the plan, including licensees, retailers, and promotional partners.
• Provide regular reviews of the Japanese market, highlighting new opportunities and gap analysis to the approved plan
• Work closely with the GW Japan core business team to create and exploit opportunities to build the Warhammer hobby business in the Japanese market.
• Manage relationships with established licensees to ensure the commercial maximisation of each product, working with the UK based Licensing Commercial team.
• Build and maintain strong working relationships with key target retailers in Japan and assist our licensees with their sales conversations
• Be an exemplary ambassador for Warhammer as a brand and the Games Workshop business in the Japanese market taking every opportunity to promote both
• Maximise all opportunities to introduce our licensees’ customers to Games Workshop’s core tabletop miniatures hobby
The ideal person will be a strategic thinker, capable of communicating a big vision whilst being hands on at a tactical level. You will be passionate about Japanese gaming and pop culture being investigative focusing on development to enable you to grow the Warhammer brand. With strong commercial acumen you will be financially astute whilst being credible and capable of presenting Games Workshop at C-level meetings with multinational Japanese businesses.
You will be fluent in both English and Japanese capable of presenting in both languages having a background in licensing and/or business development. This role requires you to travel frequently internationally and across Japan (once the COVID-19 pandemic has been brought under control)
Other Essential Information
If you wish to apply you must send us a letter telling us why you want this job. We select candidates for interview on the content of their letters.
This is a great opportunity for you to let us know that you understand what we are looking for.
Closing Date: Applications must be received by Friday 15th November.